Quantcast
Girls*Heart* Books: Author Spotlight: Katherine Lowry Logan

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Author Spotlight: Katherine Lowry Logan


Hello there guys and gals, I was lucky enough to ask Katherine Lowry Logan, author of The Ruby Brooch a few questions for you guys! (By the way, The Ruby Brooch is FREE today on Amazon.com, so be sure to grab that!) And without further ado, I give you our Author Spotlight on Katherine Lowry Logan!


Can you tell us a little about yourself?
I’ve been a widow since 1997 and for the last nine years, I’ve been my mom’s caregiver. She is 86 and visually impaired. She loves listening to romance novels on audiobooks. I’ll enter her room and step right into the middle of a love scene. It cracks me up.

I have five grandchildren (7, 6, 5, 4, and 3). Three live in New York City and two live in Northern Kentucky. I don’t see them as often as I’d like, but when I do, I spoil them as much as possible.

I am a distance runner and am currently training to run the Air Force Marathon on September 15, the day I intend to release my next book The Last MacKlenna. I didn’t start running until eight months ago, and I love it. I spend my days running and writing, and my evenings with my sweetie, who is Chief of Endocrinology and Fertility at the University of Kentucky. Our paths crossed in another lifetime, and it took Match.com to re-unite us. It’s a pretty cool love story.


What inspired you to write The Ruby Brooch?
In September 1996, I read my first Elizabeth Lowell’s book Winter Fire. I loved it. Over the next several weeks, I read her entire back list. Then I moved on to Linda Howard, Beatrice Small and several other romance authors. By September 1997, I had read over 250 romance novels and decided I wanted to write my own. I knew three things: I wanted to write a time travel romance set in the American west in the mid-1800s, and because I had read suspense and mystery stories for years, my story had to have a mystery element. The idea for using a ruby brooch as a method of time travel came about because of a piece of jewelry I have that has its own remarkable history, sort of like The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

Do you find yourself reflected in any of your characters?
There is a part of me in all the characters. Although I’m not a paramedic like Kit, I am a first responder. I jump at the call and am there to help during a crisis. I can’t whistle like Cullen, although I try, and I saunter, much the way he does. I butt in sometimes where I’m not needed, and I don’t take myself too seriously like Braham. I am faith-filled like Sarah and every once in a while will come out with some pearls of wisdom, probably not as profound as hers. I have Adam’s curiosity, and Frances’s penchant for occasionally blurting out something that should be filtered. And like Henry, I’m very protective of the ones I love. And then there’s Elliott, who is afraid to open his heart because he was hurt long ago and never fully recovered. Fortunately, I have!

If you could give an aspiring author one piece of advice, what would it be?
Don’t quit! And then I’d add, grow a thick skin and don’t ever stop learning the craft of writing.

If you could spend a day with any literary character, who would it be and why?
That’s an easy one. Authors Preston Douglas and Lincoln Child www.prestonchild.com write action adventure stories. They created a character named Special Agent A.X.L. Pendergast. Pendergast always wears black suits and looks like an undertaker. There are dozens of unanswered questions about him and his rather quirky behavior. He appears in twelve novels and several of them take place in New York City. I read, or inhale each book, hoping to learn something more about the man. If I met him, he’d be evasive, but interesting enough to enjoy his company.

What are you reading right now?
I’m always reading several books at the same time. At the top of my fiction Kindle list are Threads West, 11/23/63, Comeback Love, Heartbreaker, Timeless, Dating a Cougar, and Fast Lane. Non-fiction titles include: What I talk About When I talk About Running, Mile Markers, and Reading Like a Writer.

What is your favorite part of being a writer?
Or, why do I love my job? It’s my passion. It’s a challenge to put thoughts together and turn them into sentences, into paragraphs, into pages, and ultimately into a book. Writing makes me cry and laugh out loud. It makes me want to pick up the phone and call a friend and say, “What do you think of this idea?” It makes me smile when I see in my daughters’ eyes their love and excitement over my accomplishments. It’s a joy and a blessing. When I write, I’m in my sweet spot.

Will we see more of Kit & Cullen in the next books in The Celtic Brooch trilogy?
They will make appearances in the other two brooch books, and also in Frances and Elizabeth’s stories. Elliott’s story, The Last MacKlenna, is included at the end of The Ruby Brooch. It is not part of the trilogy. That story has two spin off characters. Since they are contemporary stories, Cullen and Kit will not make an appearance.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions! Looking forward to the rest of the Brooch books! 

For more information on Katerine Lowry Logan: 

Website       Facebook       Twitter         Blog

3 comments:

  1. Mel, thank you for having me. I'm so glad to be here. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview!

    Kathy- love that you met your new man online- I met my husband of nearly 10 years through the same place! ;)

    Totally can't wait for the next books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taryn, that's awesome. We'll have to share stories of our experiences. Kathy

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!