Quantcast
Girls*Heart* Books: Group Book to Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Monday, July 30, 2012

Group Book to Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Begun a decade ago and encompassing six shelf-bending novels, the seventh and concluding volume of the international literary phenomenon that is the Harry Potter saga comes to a bombshell-packed - and oh so satisfying - conclusion in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, arguably the most wildly anticipated release in modern publishing history. (from Goodreads)

Sadly, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is the seventh and final book in this spellbinding series by J.K. Rowling. I have to say, I was one of those who had spent hours agonizing over what would go down in this final installment. I had notebooks full of theories..yes I needed a life, but that is neither here nor there. There is so much on the line for Harry and his friends and it all comes to a head in this poignant conclusion. 

In all honesty, upon reflection after the initial omg I finally know what happens feeling faded, I really was not overly impressed with this book. I didn't find it flowed as well as it's predecessors. The story seemed to stutter several times before finding a rhythm towards the end. Did I still enjoy it, yes, of course. However, when held up to the first six books I found it lacking.  A must read, of course, merely to see how all those loose ends get tied up. But not an earth-shattering finale in my opinion. 
My Rating: 

I try to be a fast reader, I really do, but I simply ran out of time here, and I haven't even started The Deathly Hallows. Since I am a terrible person, you won't be getting my opinion of the book, but I will tell you my opinion on the movies.

These two movies are probably the most-watched flicks in my household, and really, I'm not sick of it, yet. It's a nerve rattling story and it made me cry and flinch and even snort a few times. 

Though I do think there was a lot going on (which will probably also make me huff in the book), which left a lot to remember, and a lot to click here to there from there to here. I like braiding with stories, but come on... We don't need five million strands going on at one time.

All in all I think it's a great conclusion to this saga, tied up everything in a nice little bow, and didn't disappoint at all. As a movie on its own, it's highly enjoyable.

My Rating:








And so we leave the best for last! This book had to have been a challenge to write; with all the storylines Rowling needed to bring full circle and the loose ends to tie up. For those Potter fans that think they knew exactly how this would end, don't be so sure, Rowling keeps you guessing until the very end about what will really happen. I loved this book most of the series, how fantastic as a reader is it to be invited into this person’s life, to live with them for several years, to experience their pain and happiness, joy and sorrow. Through these 7 extremely well written books we have gotten to ride along with Harry and company and now we get a front row seat to the finale! We’ve read Harry’s journey, now we get to read the destination!

I think Rowling did a fantastic job and it was a fitting end.

My Rating:



Along the way they have left entirely too much out of the books when making the movies, it just makes me ill. They completely destroyed Neville’s character, he was definitely a main character in the books and they tried to turn him into a side show in the movies, they make up for that slightly in the final movies. The relationship with Harry and Ginny was NOT, NOT, NOT relayed at all accurately in the movies! That being said, the movie in and of itself, LOVED IT! Part 1 was a bit slow in places but it was a necessary step to get to the finished product. I saw Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows part II at a midnight showing; there were more people there in costume than not. It was so fantastic, the kids were having duels and playing quidditch, there were even 2 grown men dresses as Sirius and Severus dueling it out with their wands; it just made the experience all the more fantastic.

The fastest 2.5 hours of my life, from start to finish this movie kept me engrossed and anxious. I’ve read the book twice, I know what’s going to happen! And yet, I was sitting on the edge of my seat like a giddy school girl. There is a lot of darkness in this movie as well, many people die, many senseless deaths; sacrifices are made and the bonds of friendship that have been forged are put to the ultimate test, who will make it out with their lives? If you are the one person on the planet who hasn’t seen this movie (any of these movies) you must! It touches those of all ages and all walks of life. 
My Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you!