Quantcast
Girls*Heart* Books: Treasured Thursdays: Our Most Treasured Covers

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Treasured Thursdays: Our Most Treasured Covers


Treasured Thursday is a weekly event created by Touya over at The Reader's Garden that is all about our most treasured. I'm hosting it here now, for those of you who are interested in joining me. This week our topic is our most treasured covers! 

This was hard. I mean, really, really hard for me to decide. There are SO many beautiful covers out there. However, I  thought back to a cover that made me buy the book without glancing at the inside flap. And that narrowed it down quite a bit. Out of all the lovely covers in my collection, my most treasured is White Cat by Holly Black.  Just look at that cover, the glossy black background with the handsome young man on the cover, you may not be able to see his eyes, but you can tell he's arresting. The black ensemble makes him look menacing not only to the cat in his arms but to anyone who crosses him. I HAD to buy this book, I really didn't have a choice. And I was so very happy with my purchase! If you haven't read these books, go NOW and get them and step into a new kind of 'family business' story. 


Cassel comes from a family of Curse Workers - people who have the power to change your emotions, your memories, your luck, by the slightest touch of their hands. And since curse work is illegal, they're all criminals. Many become mobsters and con artists. But not Cassel. He hasn't got magic, so he's an outsider, the striaght kid in a crooked family. You just have to ignore one small detail - he killed his best friend, Lila, three years ago.

Cassel has carefully built up a facade of normalcy, blending into the crowd. But his facade starts to crumble when he finds himself sleepwalking, propelled into the night by terrifying dreams about a white cat that wants to tell him something. He's noticing other disturbing things too, including the strange behavior of his two brothers. They are keeping secrets from him. As Cassel begins to suspect he's part of a huge con game, he must unravel his past and his memories. To find out the truth, Cassel will have to outcon the conmen.








All right, Mel, you think you had issues? Au contraire, I do believe I was having just as bad an issue as you. 

But be honest, here, how many pretty covers are there? Everybody! Can you pick just one? Especially when beauties like "Hush, Hush", "Nightshade (original cover, TYVM)", "The Adoration of Jenna Fox (paperback)", and "Thirst Vol. 1" are out there? This is HARD

But the one that made me pick it up, and buy it, and then go, "Now, what's this about again...?" is definitely 'The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer'. I think I'd seen people talking about it before, but it never really sunk in, and I'll admit, I took forever to even pick it up... But God. I'm not even half-way through, and I am completely drawn in! Hodkin's writing is plain hypnotizing! I cannot wait to read more! :D 

Thank the Lord for pretty covers...



Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you!