Quantcast
Girls*Heart* Books: Review: Go Ask Alice by Anonymous

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Review: Go Ask Alice by Anonymous

Go Ask Alice
By: Anonymous
Published: December 27th, 2005
Published by: Simon Pulse
...
January 24th After you've had it, there isn't even life without drugs.... 
It started when she was served a soft drink laced with LSD in a dangerous party game. Within months, she was hooked, trapped in a downward spiral that took her from her comfortable home and loving family to the mean streets of an unforgiving city. It was a journey that would rob her of her innocence, her youth -- and ultimately her life.
Read her diary.
Enter her world.
You will never forget her.
For thirty-five years, the acclaimed, bestselling first-person account of a teenage girl's harrowing decent into the nightmarish world of drugs has left an indelible mark on generations of teen readers. As powerful -- and as timely -- today as ever, Go Ask Alice remains the definitive book on the horrors of addiction.

....Um...Well. The fact I'm reviewing some poor girls diary kind of makes me want to smack myself in the face repeatedly with a spoon.. Then again, the fact I READ a girls diary.. That crosses several boundaries with me. And who passed this on to a publisher, anyway? If I died and someone published my diary, I'd have a serious amount of "haunting" to do.

That being said, here I sit, having read the book and about to tell you all to take a look at it. Why? Because the story is so horrific and dreadful that you can almost pretend it's fiction. Now, whoever is out there who is planning to scroll down and post a comment to fight with me that it's not real, stop. I don't want to argue with anyone- Whether this story is really a published diary (oy), or if it's just someone trying to make everyone cry without using their real name, this is a VERY REAL STORY. No one seems to understand that drugs are real, and addictive, and being hooked on them does not make you "a stupid teenager". 

Go Ask Alice puts drug abuse and addiction in the spotlight, told completely in the first person, we follow a girl through something terrible. Our main character has been a good girl her whole life, and everything spirals out of control when LSD is slipped in her drink at a party. From that point on, we travel with her to hell and back, and it's not pretty. 

This is not a book to read if you are looking for a happy-ending. Nor is it a book that shines hope on a terrible subject. This book is a smack in the face with a giant reality fly-swatter, and as dumb as that sounds, it really is the only way I can describe it. It'll break your heart, but you won't forget it.

My Rating:


2 comments:

  1. Lana, great review. I read this book when I was in high school and you're right, it's a pretty terrible account of one girl's descent into oblivion.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!