Quantcast
Girls*Heart* Books: Review: Through To You by Emily Hainsworth

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Review: Through To You by Emily Hainsworth


Through To You
Emily Hainsworth
Published: October 2nd, 2012, by Balzer + Bray

Camden Pike has been grief-stricken since his girlfriend, Viv, died. He'd give anything to have just one more glimpse of her. But when Cam visits the site of Viv's deadly car accident, he sees an apparition. Her name is Nina, and she's a girl from a parallel world. When Cam follows her there and makes an unbelievable discovery, it's as if all of his wildest dream have come true. But things are very different in this other world. Nina is hiding a secret, and the window between the worlds is shrinking every day. As Cam comes to terms with the truth, he's forced to make a choice that will change his life forever.

I found out about "Through To You" while looking at The Tattered Cover's website. I was checking, for the millionth time, to see if the event with Maggie Stiefvater and Brenna Yovanoff was, indeed, real. I'm a little paranoid, okay? That's beside the point. I clicked the wrong day, and found out about Emily's signing. The cover was pretty enough to get my attention, and the summary sold me-- I immediately took off work and convinced my dad he needed to give me a ride. Emily was very sweet and the way she spoke of her book made me eager to give it a try. Usually when I have my hopes up, my review suffers, because the awesomeness in my head did not match the book.

Well, readers, that is not the case, here.

Through To You has got to be one of the best books I've ever read. It and Butter by Erin Jade Lange are sitting up there on my "Favorites of 2012" list. I could not believe how fast I tore through this book. A day and a half, people. Less than 48 hours! *jaw drop* That is unheard of for me, especially if the book is over 100 pages-- I take forever to read a book, for various reasons (i.e., work, sleep, other books, etc.). But this, this book blew it all out of the water.

Through To You is told from Cam's perspective, and follows him as he grieves over his dead girlfriend, Viv. The grief is very believable and not overdone or underdone at all-- Losing your whole world when you're barely an adult is earth shattering, and Hainsworth depicts that perfectly. 

What I also love about this is that while Cam's world and Nina's world are totally different, they're rather similar, too. Sure, major pieces are rearranged, but you can see how if this had been a little different, and if that had been a little different, this world is actually possible. We didn't jump from broken-ex-footballer to alien-spaceship-fbi-agent, and for that, I am thankful. 

This book literally had me engrossed from the very first page. Every assumption I had was wrong, every "I've got it now" was misplaced, and every time I thought I might not cry, I did. I absolutely LUH-OVEEEEEE this book, and recommend it to ANYONE who is looking for a good story. Perfection.

My Rating:


Emily Hainsworth was raised in upstate New York and currently resides in Denver with her husband, cat, and standard poodle. THROUGH TO YOU is her first novel. 

Find Emily:

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you!