Quantcast
Girls*Heart* Books: 'Why My Love Life Sucks' by Shevi Arnold Tour-Playlist

Thursday, June 6, 2013

'Why My Love Life Sucks' by Shevi Arnold Tour-Playlist



Can you share your playlist from when you were writing Why My Love Life Sucks with us?


I try to listen mostly to soundtracks when I’m writing, because I find songs with words too distracting. The words in the songs get jumbled with the words on my computer screen, and that can make it harder for me to see the words on my computer screen as they really are.

This is a link to my favorite Pandora movie soundtrack station. It has music by Hans Zimmer, John Williams, Alan Silvestri, and other great contemporary composers from movies like Brave, The Hunger Games, Edward Scissorhands, and How to Train Your Dragon.

Between writing sessions, though, I like to listen to songs that make me think of specific scenes or specific characters. Here’s a short list:

1.“Breakeven” by The Script reminds me of Gilbert at the beginning of the story, lying paralyzed on his vintage Star Wars sheets and wondering why Amber bit him.

2. “She’s So High” by Tal Bachman reminds me of the scene where Gilbert first meets Amber at Bucky Bee’s and he’s so sure a girl that beautiful could never be interested in a geek like him.

3. “I’m Going to Go Back There Someday” (or “Gonzo’s Song”) from The Muppet Movie reminds me of the how Gilbert and Amber somehow knew that night that they were meant to meet.

4. “I Gotta Feeling” by the Black Eyed Peas is the song I imagine playing in the club Amber takes Gilbert to where she has a great time and he has a panic attack as girls attracted to his new vampire charm throw themselves at him.

5. “My Life Would Suck Without You” by Kelly Clarkson reminds me of how Amber feels about Gilbert (minus the implied romance in the song) after he rescues her.

There are other songs that remind me of things that happen--or things we learn about the characters--later in the series, but I can’t say what they are without giving too much away. To quote one of my favorite characters from Doctor Who, “Spoilers!” But I have created a Pandora station for the Legend of Gilbert the Fixer, and some of the things you hear on it might fit, while others won’t. At any rate, it’s a fun selection of quirky, sometimes geeky, sometimes funny songs.

Enjoy!



I've always been super geeky about comedy, fantasy and science fiction.

When I was little, I'd take them apart and analyze them, kind of like what Gilbert Garfinkle--the hero of Why My Love Life Sucks--does with electronics. This continued into my college years, when I majored in English Literature and Theater Studies.

For twelve years I worked in magazines and newspapers as an editorial cartoonist, illustrator, editor, arts-and-entertainment writer (specializing in children's entertainment and, of course, comedy), and a consumer columnist.

My last job was at the Jerusalem Post, but I had to quit when my family decided to move to New Jersey to pursue better education options for my autistic son.

This was in February 2001. Since then I've written 40 picture books and seven novels for kids and teens, four of which I've indie published. I was an ABNA quarterfinalist with Why My Love Life Sucks, and I won third place in SmartWriter's Write It Now contest in the the YA category (which was judged by Alex Flinn, the author of Beastly) for my romantic, YA ghost story, Ride of Your Life.

Links-

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you!