Quantcast
Girls*Heart* Books: Tammy's Two Cents with Jessica Shirvington

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Tammy's Two Cents with Jessica Shirvington

Tammy’s Two Cents Interview and Review; Jessica Shirvington author of Embrace (The Violet Eden Chapters)

Embrace (Violet Eden Chapters)


 It starts with a whisper.
"It's time for you to know who you are..."
Strange dreams leave her with very real injuries and there's a dark tattoo weaving its way up her arms.
The guy she thought she could fall in love with just told her he's only half-human - oh, and same goes for her.
And she keeps hearing a distant fluttering of wings.
Violet Eden is having a very bad 17th birthday.
But if angels seek vengeance and humans are the warriors, you could do a lot worse than betting on Violet Eden...
*blurb From the Back Cover*
My girl,
Happy 17th birthday. I wish I could be there with you, but I think if you are reading this...I am not. For that, I am sorry. The day your dad and I found out we were going to have a baby was the happiest day of my long life. I know the only day that will exceed that joy will be the day you are born – no matter how that day ends.
A big decision lies ahead. The burden of the covenant is a heavy one to bear. Choose with your heart, for I already know that you, my girl, must let your heart guide the way.
I love you. Please forgive me.
Mom

I think we all already know that I’m a cover HO!  I originally purchased this book because the cover enticed me as well as the description.  I was NOT disappointed!  Strange things have been happening to Violet recently and she's determined to get to the bottom of it.  Her birthday present from her mother really doesn’t help her in this quest at all.  Everything gets even more complicated when she learns that her long time crush (Linc) has been keeping secrets from her.  The author’s view on Angels in this book is really unique and fascinating; I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again I LOVE a book that keeps the characters real… we have a real live teenage girl going through real live teenage things and the author stays true to that.  Shirvington has also managed to create some pretty Sexy Angels to boot what with out Violet/Linc/Pheonix love triangle.

Once Violet learns the truth and comes to terms not only with her destiny but with the ultimate betrayel she then has to learn that not only she will have to live with the consequences of her decision but, how it will affect everyone else involved… Her, the boys, her father and her friends; not to mention man kind itself!

She can either take the final journey to becoming a full-blown Grigori (it's called embrace) or she can choose to remain human. Whatever she decides, nothing will ever be the same again.
Definitely a must read!!



After reading this book I had to have a little sneak peak into the mind of the author; so Jessica so graciously agreed to answer a few questions for all her adoring fans (and our blog!).  Thank you Jessica for taking the time to participate and for sharing a piece of yourself with your fans.





*Tell me a bit about yourself.
I'm 33. I'm married with two beautiful girls, Sienna and Winter. I used to own a company in London but sold it after I had my first child and moved back to Australia. After I had my second child I started writing seriously - that writing ended up being Embrace. Now I'm a full time writer and Mom and I hope it stays like that for as long as possible!

*Where were you born and where do you call home?
I was born in Sydney, Australia and I still call Sydney home. I've been lucky enough to live in Europe for a number of years but I always love coming back home!

*What was your inspiration for Embrace?
I wanted Embrace to be a story about choice and consequence, and one that explored the possible relationship between freewill and predetermined destiny. But at the same time, it is a story about a girl coming of age, making big discoveries and having to endure huge sacrifices.
The story itself evolved once I discovered my main characters. I always had a clear idea of the character I wanted Violet and Lincoln to be. I also knew I wanted to bring in a supernatural elements but that I wanted it to be as grounded as possible rather than completely out there fantastical. The idea of angels came to me and once I started the research, I never looked back. It was during this research that more characters, like Phoenix, were discovered.

*Was there a particular person that was the inspiration for Violet Eden, or Lincoln?
No, not really. But certainly, people in my life have impacted particular personality traits all of my characters have, but at the same time, they remain completely fictional and I believe that is very important.

*I simply must now, how did the idea for your history/story of the Angels come about?  Research or just a Fantastic idea?
Both. The research was huge and bringing in real mythology and staying as true to it as I could was very important to me. At the same time, it is my story, to the unique threads, characters, plot etc all had to come from me. It is about finding a balance between the two and that is part of what I love so much about writing.

*For those who are unfamiliar with your novel; Embrace, how would you introduce it?
EMBRACE is the story of seventeen-year-old, Violet Eden, who discovers that she is caught up in this ancient battle between exiled angels on earth and angel-human warriors that fight against them called the Grigori. Violet’s destiny is entwined in this eternal battle and she must make her choice – to follow the path that has been set for her, or turn her back on her destiny. It is a story of free will, choice and consequence. And at the heart of it all she is torn between the two men in her life; Lincoln – her long time crush and the one person she thought she could trust until she discovers he has been lying to her for the past two years, and Phoenix – the exiled angel who is supposed to be her enemy but somehow always seems to be there when she needs someone and stirs feelings that she doesn’t fully understand. 

*Whom in your life would you say has influenced you the most?
My parents have had a huge influence. I respect them in different ways and between the two of them they offer a great balance of ambition, heart and values.

*What has been the most interesting comment (or review) about your book?
They are all interesting in their own way. Even the negative reviews hold interest for me. I appreciate that reading is subjective and so it interests me to hear the way people approach the story from different points of view. What I love the most is when I feel like a reader or reviews has seen the layers that are in the story and gone beyond simple face value.

*Who is YOUR favorite Author?
C.S.Lewis, if I had to pick.

*What are you reading right now?
I'm just starting Partials, by Dan Wells.

*Tell us your latest news.
I'll be in the US for a book tour in late September to coincide with the release of ENTICE. Very excited!! If anyone wants to come and meet me one day, there will be updates posted on the US book site www.embracetheseries.com

*Please, do tell why we should read your book.
I'm not a great sales person! But, I have written this story because I really believe in it and the characters. When I read, I want to escape into another world and into the characters story and emotions. When I write, that is what I try to achieve, so if that is what readers are looking for and they are happy to have action, romance and mythology thrown in, then read my book! :)

*When will the sequel, Enticed, be available in the US?
September, 2012. And Emblaze, book 3, will be out in March 2013.



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you!