Quantcast
Girls*Heart* Books: The Shameful Diary of a Hopeless Romantic by Suzi Case: Review

Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Shameful Diary of a Hopeless Romantic by Suzi Case: Review

Maggie is a dreamer with lots of goals to achieve on her 'before 30' list. She wants to fall in love, write a book and lose weight. Only nothing seems to go as planned. She finds herself: signed up for a marathon when she can't run, with a book deal without a book and surrounded by 2 hunks: Ben and Blake, neither of whom seem to know she is a woman. What's a girl to do when she's a hopeless romantic? Write about it of course. (from Goodreads)

The Shameful Diary of a Hopeless Romantic was written by Suzi Case. Ms. Case contacted me about reading this book and after reading the synopsis, I thought it sounded great, right up my alley. This is a very fast read, with lots of humor and a great idea. It just never all came together for me.

The story is told from the point of view of Maggie, the main character. Try as I might, I just couldn't like her. It made it very hard for me to enjoy the story, honestly. Her incessant lying and sheer stupidity in some situations made it very hard for me to get behind her. I will say though, there was some growth in the character as the story progressed.

I did love Blake, Maggie's childhood friend who comes back into her life. He's the kind of guy all the girls lust over; sweet, handsome, successful and funny. It's very hard to NOT like him. He has a patience with Maggie that I found sweet and awe-inspiring at times, honestly and I really enjoyed his character.

I'm not a fan of cliffhanger endings, so I wasn't pleased with that, but I'm hoping there will be another installment so we can see if Maggie gets her life figured out and keeps on growing. All in all, I enjoyed a lot of the book, the tone was amusing and it was well-written. I think I would have enjoyed if more if Maggie was a little different. I do have hope for the sequel, though.

My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you!