Quantcast
Girls*Heart* Books: Tithe by Holly Black: Review

Monday, August 27, 2012

Tithe by Holly Black: Review

Tithe
Modern Faerie Tales #1 
By Holly Black
Published By:Margaret K. McElderry
Publication Date: April 2004


Sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother's rock band until an ominous attack forces Kaye back to her childhood home. There, amid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two rival faerie kingdoms - a struggle that could very well mean her death. (from Goodreads

Tithe is the first book in Holly Black's Modern Faerie Tales series.  I love Holly Black and I've had this book hanging out on my to read list for so long, I had to take a break from my requests and check it out. I'm really glad I did because it is a phenomenal read.

Black tells the story in third person narrative and I really enjoyed seeing the plot unfurl from the different perspectives.  It helps draw you in and hook you from the very beginning. The vivid descriptions make this book both terrifying and humorous; it's a definite page turner. 

I love Holly Black's writing style. She is descriptive and gritty and simply wonderful. I have loved every one of her books I've read so far.  Black has a knack for creating these beautifully flawed and sometimes completely messed up but still immensely likable characters. She provides the complete package, in my opinion. 

Overflowing with humor, romance, action and intrigue this book is a must read. Especially for those who love to read about the fey. I can't wait to read the rest of this series. 

My Rating: 
Holly Black is a best-selling author of contemporary fantasy novels for kids, teens, and adults. She is the author of the Modern Faerie Tale series (Tithe, Valiant, and Ironside), The Spiderwick Chronicles (with Tony DiTerlizzi), and The Good Neighbors graphic novels (with Ted Naifeh). She is also the co-editor of three anthologies, Geektastic (with Cecil Castellucci), Zombies vs. Unicorns(with Justine Larbalestier), and Welcome to Bordertown (with Ellen Kushner). Her most recent works are The Poison Eaters and Other Stories, a collection of short fiction, and The Curse Worker series (White Cat, Red Glove, and Black Heart). She lives in Massachusetts with her husband, Theo, in a house with a secret library.
Follow Holly Black:

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you!